Sunday, March 13, 2005

FSDB to Fdlrs Webpage

In today's blog I decided to post the web address to a section of the Fdlrs web site. I located this web site while browsing the Florida School for the Deaf and Blind's webpage. You can find the section I was focusing on at:

http://www.fsdb.k12.fl.us/rmc/multimedia/software.html#top


Although there was much more to be found on the website as a whole, this was the area I focused on for today's posting. This site provides teachers of the deaf and hard of hearing access to software they deem usable with students who are deaf and hard of hearing. The software is organized by subject area or overall theme, and this makes it easy to go directly to the area you are focusing on at that point in time. However, the site only provides the name of software, and I thought it might be even more beneficial if it would provide links to other sites that discuss each piece of software's use, advantages, and disadvantages. It does provide links to publishers, but this requires more searching on those sites to find the information you are looking for. Furthermore, from pure knowledge at hand I know that some of the resources listed were designed for hearing students and I feel as though their use might not be as beneficial as software designed specifically for deaf and hard of hearing students. However, at least a list provides teachers with a starting point.

Although I find this site to be extremely useful in providing me with information about software that is available, it does little to assist teachers in knowing how to use the software in the classroom or if it has worked before with students who are deaf and hard of hearing. Although entries in my blog are limited at this point, I would say the other two resources I provided were much more beneficial in answering my research question of what technology exists in increasing the literacy of deaf and hard of hearing students. I would further refine this to information about what exists and what is known to work, because today's web site provides general information but nothing specific regarding advantages and disadvantages. Therefore, I will now use this site to further explore the uses of some of the software listed for deaf and hard of hearing students for later postings.

In addition to this specific page, the entire site provides teachers with information on professional development, technology integration, tutorials and much more. The home page for the Fdlrs resources is http://www.fsdb.k12.fl.us/rmc/index.html.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home